Novak Djokovic is "Europe's Sportsman of the Year"
Novak Djokovic has won the election for "Europe's Sportsman of the Year" for the fourth time in his career.
by Nikolaus Fink
last edit: Dec 26, 2021, 12:43 pm
Great honor for Novak Djokovic : The world number one was named "Europe's Sportsman of the Year" for the fourth time in his career on Sunday. Before this year, the 34-year-old had won the election carried out by the Polish news agency PAP in 2011, 2012 and 2015.
Djokovic, who won three Grand Slam titles in Melbourne, Paris and London in 2021, prevailed this year with 172 points ahead of defending champion Robert Lewandowski (football / 133 points) and Max Verstappen (Formula 1/125).
After his fourth triumph, Djokovic is only missing one victory over record champion Roger Federer, who won the election in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2009.
This year, the best woman in the mixed ranking was the 5,000 and 10,000 m Olympic champion Sifan Hassan in fifth place. The Dutch woman got 94 points.
The top ten in the vote for "Europe's Sportsman of the Year":
1. Novak Djokovic (SRB / Tennis) 172 points
2. Robert Lewandowski (POL / Soccer) 133 points
3. Max Verstappen (NED / Formula 1) 125
4. Karsten Warholm (NOR / hurdles) 112
5. Sifan Hassan (NED / medium and long distance running) 94
6. Tadej Pogacar (SLO / cycling) 79
7. Giannis Antetokounmpo (GRE / basketball) 55
8. Marcell Lamont Jacobs (ITA / Sprint) 51
9. Armand Duplantis (SWE / pole vault) 29
10. Therese Johaug (NOR / cross-country skiing) 28